Monday, May 28, 2007

The results of the visit to the Gynae

Dr Fatima listened to all my list below:

33 years old
TTC for 1 year and 2 mth *last year March.
My cycle used to be 28 days but this year has tapered out to 31 days
Last period came on the 19th May
We normally give it a go alternate days from day 10 to day 18.
A miscarriage in April last year- 1st time trying. Detected pregnant one week after missing period but fetus self aborted a few days later. No D+C as passed out fetal matter.
A blood test last year by a gynae for dunno what reason and am perfectly fine.
A pap smear and a HPV virus check in April 2007 and the results are good
Previous gynae said that my uterus is beautiful??

Husband is 41, not gone for sperm count.

Tried Ovulation kits but only tested once positive (3 months testing)


From the above, she concluded that, due to the change of days of menstruation cycle from 28 to 31, I may not be ovulating during some months. After some discussion, she recommended CLOMID. However, she cautioned that clomid may 'cause' ovarian cancer if one prolonged usage. Also, she checked my ovaries to ensure that there is no cysts otherwise this drug is not suitable for me as it aggravates the cysts.

I feel a bit strange about consuming clomid. Ovarian cancer!! A quick read on the internet revealed:

# Mikkelson et al. (1986) suggested that with repeated treatment cycles, clomid and its metabolites might build up, resulting in considerable exposure for the fetus.
# Furthermore, multiple gestations occur in 8-13% of pregnancies after use of clomid (Adashi et al., 1979; MacGregor et al., 1968; Harlap, 1976; Hack et al., 1972; Karrow et al., 1968).
# Several reports suggest a possible association between pre-ovulatory clomid use and increased frequency of pregnancy loss. Toshinobu et al. (1979) found a 24% SAB (spontaneous abortion) rate post-clomid use compared to a control group rate of 8.9%. Garcia et al. (1977) found a 25% SAB rate for pregnancies conceived after previous clomid use but which had been discontinued before conception.
# Perhaps the most controversial issue is the possible association between NTDs (neurall tubes defects) and clomid use. Between 1972 and 1990, 368 birth defects arising after clomid use by the mother were reported to the FDA. This number included 35 reports of NTDs (Rosa, 1990).
# The lifetime risk for ovarian cancer in the general population is 1.8%. Whittemore (1994) cites a 4-5% risk for women treated with clomid. Rossing (1994) evaluated this risk and the lengths of time women were on clomid and found that the relative risk for less than 1 year of treatment was 2.3. However, this risk increased to 11.1 for women treated for 1 year or longer (12 cycles).

After reading this, I think I better reevaluate my decision to use clomid. Hhmm.. I will give myself another month to think about this. In the meantime, I welcome any discussions and thoughts about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax is the word! Easier said than done...I know cos I have been there. The month I 'let go' and 'forget', I got pregnant!

Itz a test from God, show him that you are strong and prepared for this child. Good luck dear!

As for Clomid, to each her own. I had Clomid in my drawers too, but didnt take them either for watever reasons I cannot even remember!

angie

Mia said...

Relax.... hehe..I find that hard to do when I am such a goal oriented person. Now I am planning to see an endocrinologist for me to be sure of the situation. You know me lah.. tak tahu tak tahan type. So will let u guys know about my appointment when I am done.