Thursday, March 31, 2005

Earthquake 8.5

It was just after midnight on the Tuesday 29th March. I was reading "Return to Temptation" by Jennifer Crusie (I can’t believe I was actually reading this crappy book) when my bed started shaking and the front door to my 12th floor apartment unit was making noises as though someone was banging on it. I stood up immediately and felt the earth move under my feet and the water in my transparent jug was moving just like the cups in Jurassic Park when the dinosaurs stomped on the ground.

I quickly looked out my window and saw people streaming out of the doors of their units. It must be an earthquake.. I thought frantically "Dang! Marido is not here to share this experience with me!!". I rushed out in my sarong and grabbed my sweater (I was braless) and handbag too. I even had the sense to lock my door before following the crowd to walk the twelve floors down. On the ground, there were no more tremors but I still felt shaky. I called a colleague from my office (she thought that I was out of my mind when I told her that the building was shaking) and ran over to her place.. abt 3 mins away and decided stayed over.

The next day, all was fine.. no cracks on the building. Thank God! But it was scary for me.. but some of my friends.. eg Sieg actually thought that it was better to die in her comfortable bed rather than whilst running down the stairs.. sigh! Another friend said that she rather die than be woken up from sleep... sheesh!

No comments: