Thursday, July 28, 2005

Mi Mancherai (I'll Miss You)

This song of Josh Groban from the movie Il Postino has been playing in my head and on my lips. I just find the voice of this talented young man like the voice of an angel.. not that I have heard angels before but that is how I imagined Gabriel and Michael to sound like when they sing!

Summary of the movie Il Postino:
The life of the fisherman Mario changes dramatically when the famous Chilean writer Pablo Neruda settles on his little Italian island. Living in exile becuase of his political beliefs, Neruda needs a postman to deliver the huge quantities of mail sent to him by his admirers and Mario takes the job since he hates fishing anyway. The two become friends and Neruda helps the shy and clumsy Mario to win the heart of Beatrice, the beautiful waitress at the village's inn, by showing him the beauty and power of poetry.

Mi Mancherai is the song from the movie and I am learning it as one of my Italian lessons since I am going over to Italy in 2 days. Yippee Italy.. here I come.

Also.. Pablo Neruda's works are beautiful.. I have a collection of his poetries but the one I love most is the one mentioned in the movie Patch Adam where Dr Patch spoke the words on the deathbed of his loved one... here it is in all it's glory.


I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you simply, without problems or pride:
I love you in this way because I don't know any other way of loving
but this, in which there is no I or you,
so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close.
___________________________________________________________________
Mi Mancherai (translation)
I’ll miss you, if you go away
I’ll miss your serenity
Your words like songs in the wind
And Love, that you take away.

I’ll miss you, if you go away
Now and forever I don’know how to live
And joy, my friend, goes away with you

I’ll miss you, I’ll miss you, Why do you go away?
Because the love in you is dead?
Because, because...Nothing it’s gonna change, I know
And inside of me I feel you

I’ll miss the immensity
Of our days and nights,us together
Your smiles when it’s getting dark
Your being naive like a little girl

I’ll miss you, my love
I look at myself and I find emptiness inside of me
And joy, my friend,
goes away with you

No comments: