Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Mature Student

My uni (NUM)had an opening ceremony on Monday 26th Sept where our Prime Minister was supposed to officiate the ceremony.

Little info about PM : Dato’ Seri Abdullah bin Haji Ahmad Badawi became the 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia on 31st October 2003. Born on 26 November 1939 in Kampung Perlis, Bayan Lepas, Pulau Pinang, Dato’ Seri Abdullah received his early education at Sekolah Kebangsaan Pematang Bertam. He later attended Bukit Mertajam High School, Penang Methodist Boys’ School and a religious school started by his family. Dato’ Seri Abdullah pursued his tertiary education at the University of Malaya where he graduated with B.A.(Hons) in Islamic studies in 1964. (more can be read at http://www.pmo.gov.my/website/webdb.nsf/vf_Front_PM?OpenForm

Unfortunately, PM did not come but he sent our Deputy Prime Minister Dato' Sri Najib Tun Razak instead. But perhaps DPM wanted to come... he actually graduated from Nottingham Uni 30 years ago... so it's also quite an honour.

NUM had beautiful tentage with flowing white cloth and plenty of fans with water sprinklers that greatly cooled the already overcast day. The men staff was wearing batik shirts and the women in batik shirt and skirts but all the important people were trying their best not to perspire underneath the coats and ties. Gamelan music and students' voices filled the air lending it a Malaysian festive cheer. I was sitting solo amongst all the young and fresh looking students .. I felt old and aloof. Thankfully Choon Lai (a friend from my old uni days who is now a foundation lecturer here) who was in doing his student control rounds could chat with me intermittently.

When the ceremony was over, I rushed with the other students to the Administrative building for my free meal. When I got there and saw all the people round the small table..I thought to myself "what am I doing... go home or go to the library ... do not join the horde!"

I drove out of Uni and proceeded to queue for 10 mins at an intersection along with all the datuks and datins. I believe at some point.. one of the datuks called the police to complain and immediately, 2 police bikes were in front of us stopping traffic for us to allow us to turn right. Impressed! By the time I got to KL for dinner with Marido.. it was an hour and a half since I drove out the gates of NUM. Sigh! I must try to stay in campus!

No comments: